Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

From the time I was a little girl, my memories of Memorial Day were of a rather boring day spent with my parents and sisters driving to and from cemeteries. My parents would visit with people I didn't know, and everyone was so serious. As the years passed and I lost my grandparents, visiting the cemetery became more important. I would often go "visit" my grandma's grave, and if peonies were blooming, I would take her a vaseful as peonies were her favorite. In the last five years or so, I have watched as so many friends of my parents have passed on. I began attending the Memorial Day program honoring the veterans knowing that sometime, I hope later than sooner, my father will be amonst those on the Wall of Honor and will have a flag planted in the field of flags as he served valiantly in WWII.

This year Memorial Day has really hit me hard. Most of you know I lost my son last September. This year has been a year of firsts for me: the first Thanksgiving without him, the first Christmas without him, etc. Today was the first Memorial Day I have spent decorating his grave. It's been a beautiful, yet difficult, day. I was very comforted in that so many people remembered him. I hope you won't mind my posting a picture of his cemetery plat in remembrance of him today. I love you, son!