Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Socks and More Socks

Are your Sockapalooza 4 socks completed? Mine are very close and should be ready to mail on time – yay! I am knitting the Whisper Rib and Shepherd's Lace socks designed by Anne Carroll. I purchased this pattern quite a few years ago from the Wooly West, way back when the Wooly West had an actual store front. This is one of my favorite sock patterns. It begins with a fun picot edge, and then goes into an easy, but visually pleasing, whisper rib on 40 stitches of the sock. The center 22 stitches are knit in a lovely lace pattern that is only 8 row repeats. Once the lace has been worked a few times, it is easily remembered making for very enjoyable knitting. The yarn I am using is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in the Lakeside colorway. My pal said she likes greens and blues, so I think this yarn is perfect. Anyway, I hope she likes them.

When I began spinning, the first yarn I wanted to learn to spin was sock yarn. I purchased several colors of Teyani’s fiber dyed for her sock hop yarns. The first colorway I spun was “Great Balls of Fire,” and my second was “Love Me Tender.” I really like the results of Love Me Tender, and have even begun knitting a sock.



The knitting shows the yarns imperfections (such as its uneven thicknesses and a little over twist), but since these socks will be for me, I am focusing more on the good points of this yarn. I love the barberpole stripes, and the shades of plum melting into golden stripes please me to no end. I am having great fun knitting these socks from my own handspun.



Next on the wheel is more of Teyani’s fiber in “Wild Thing.” I’ve got to get the SP4 socks done first. Knit fast, knit fast, knit fast … .