Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Year, New Me

The last few months of 2007 were not the best for me. First of all, on October 27 I broke my arm. I was trying to help my 8 year old granddaughter rollerblade. The idea was that I would walk beside her as she skated and, if she were to slip, I would catch her before she could fall. Well, she slipped and we both went down. After a trip to the ER (this was a Sunday night), I found I had a fracture of the radial head in my elbow. I was told it would heal in 4-6 weeks.

I work as a paralegal in a small lawfirm. Much of my work requires working on the computer. Needless to say, my keyboarding was pretty sad when I could only use one hand. My boss was very disgruntled, to say the least, and hired a temp to come in a couple of hours a day to do my typing for me. Other than just the typing, I continued to do all my other work. To my huge surprise, at 5:00 p.m. on November 30, my boss came to me and told me they were letting me go. After six years! In complete shock, I inquired as to why. His response was that he didn't think my mind had been on work the last month or so. Give me a break!!! What it really boiled down to was that he was mad because I had broken my arm as it had inconvenienced him. Most bosses would have sent their assistant flowers, but I got fired!

Needless to say, this threw me for a loop. I am single and pride myself on being self sufficient. To find myself with no job, and right before Christmas, was stressful (to say the least).

The second week of December, while on my way to the post office, I was side swiped by a UPS truck. Luckily, I had on my seatbelt. However, I received seatbelt related injuries (a cracked sternum and several broken ribs), and my car was totaled. I just purchased my car in July, and I loved my car.

I got through the holidays with no self confidence, hurting physically and emotionally, but with resolve to begin the new year with a new outlook. No more feeling sorry for myself, mourning for a car (it's only a car for Pete's sake), or settling for a nowhere job that leaves me unhappy and unfulfilled. I deserve better! So I am seeking new employment and taking time for me to renew my spirit and rejuvenate my mind.

I am knitting, scrapbooking and making lots of cards. I find that these creative outlets comfort me and bring peace to my life. Every stitch of my knitting, every piecing of paper, and every inked stamp to paper brings me joy and reaffirms my knowledge that the world is a beautiful place full of wonderful things to enjoy. So, I'm smiling again and feeling good about life.

I have completed a scarf that I will be sending to my Ravelry scarf exchange pal, Kate, in London. I hope she will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed knitting it.



Pattern: Trellis Scarf by Evelyn Clark
Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr


I am currently knitting Cookie A's Flicker socks



and have begun the Melon Scarf found in Victorian Lace Today. I am loving knitting lace!

I have a lot of projects in my queue and am excited for the new year and the wonderful things I know are in store for me!