Monday, November 21, 2005

What Makes a Blog Interesting?

In today's e-world, it seems everyone has a blog. There are news blogs, political blogs, celebrity blogs, music blogs. Even convicted murderers have their own blogs. So, with so many blogs in cyber world, what makes certain blogs stand out or more interesting?

I spent a good part of yesterday exploring a few blogs outside of the world of knitting. I mainly focused on some of my other hobbies, i.e. scrapbooking, rubber stamping, and daily news blogs. There are some really superior blogs out there, and there are some pretty horrible blogs. My criteria for a superior blog is:

1. Good writing. I can overlook an occasional grammatical error or mis-spelled word if the overall writing is creative, cohesive, interesting, and informative.

2. Pleasing to the eye. I am attracted to blogs that have good lines, are easy to read, have some structure and/or order, and utilize graphics and colors that draw you in and invite the eye to scan the blog's entirety.

3. Personality. I find the blogs I revisit time and again are those that offer a glimpse into the personal life of the blogger. Blogs that describe opinions, emotions, passions, desires.

4. Photographs. I do not need a photo in every blog entry, but frequent photos relative to the subject matter makes a blog more entertaining. The photos should be clear, accurately describe the subject matter and shouldn't take eons to load. I am not a patient person when it comes to waiting for a blog to load.

5. No broken links. Nothing aggravates me more than to click on a link that does not work. If a blogger takes the time to put in a link, it should be tested to confirm its accuracy.

Using the above criteria, I found my own blog sorely lacking. I plan to correct this.

But today, I am going to declare Monday on my blog &ldquoKristy's Blog of the Week&rdquo day to recognize blogs that I deem outstanding. Without further ado, here are today's picks.

Cheryl's Dream in Color

Eilene's Ei Knit


Enjoy!